SmarterMail allows you to share resources like calendars with other users of your domain. The types of items that can be shared include:
- E-Mail Folders
- Task Lists
Sharing a resource, such as a calendar or e-mail folder, will allow the users you specify to access the resource with a pre-determined permission level.
To share a resource (in this example your calendar), follow the steps below:
- To get started, log into your webmail account at http://mail.yourdomain.com (where yourdomain.com is your web site domain, mail.vtweb.com, or mail.madriveraccess.net - if unsure which to use please contact us)
- Once logged in, click the Settings button on the main toolbar, and then expand the My Settings menu on the left. Next expand the Sharing folder and click the Shared Resources folder.
- Now click on the New icon in the Actions toolbar
- Choose which type of item you wish to share out (tasks, calendar, etc) and click Next.
- Now choose who you would like to Share with from the list of available mailbox users/groups already set up on your domain.
- Users - A user is a single person on your domain.
- Groups - A group is a set of users that fall under a similar department, permission level, or role. Your domain administrator can add and modify these user groups.
- Choose an access level:
- None - This resource is not shared with the user. This setting is useful if you give permissions to a group but want a specific user to be denied permission.
- Availability-Only (Calendars only) - This setting is used to show availability for you if the user clicks on the availability link when adding a calendar item. Other than this functionality, the calendar acts as if it is not shared.
- Read-Only - Grants view access to the resource, which lets the other user see your information, without granting any permission to change or modify the resource in any way.
- Full Control - The user that has this permission can do everything on the resource that you can, including moving items, changing things, and even deleting information.
- Now click Save. Repeat the process as needed. More than one user can be added at a time by putting each username on a separate line.
Note: The steps are very similar for each of the resource types. Just make sure you are viewing the resource you want to share when you click on the Sharing button.
Once the above resource has been shared, users can now access these resources by doing the following:
- Have the user who wants to connect to your shared resource log into their webmail at http://mail.yourdomain.com (where yourdomain.com is your web site domain)
- Click the Settings button on the main toolbar, and then expand the My Settings menu on the left. Next expand the Sharing folder and click the Mapped Resources folder.
- You will be presented with a list of all currently accessible resources.
- Select the checkbox for the shared resource(s) you want to access and click the Attach menu item button.
- Enter a friendly name for the resource so you can locate it later and click the Save icon.
- Now click the Collaborate menu item and you will see the new resource in the left menu.
If you wish to detach from a resource, go into Open Shared Resources and click on the Detach link next to the item.